The importance of healthcare IT companies have grown manifold after the new healthcare Act emphasized on the importance of technology in healthcare and made mandatory the use of certain software and technology in the health sector.
However healthcare IT is a relatively new industry and most companies are start-ups. The Affordable Care Act may have given the industry but the success of a healthcare IT company will depend on a lot of other factors.
– Healthcare is an amalgamated market of various small sectors particular diseases, cures, healthcare providers, information technology, healthcare software, insurance, etc. Each of these is a separate industry in itself and what works for one may not work for the others. Companies will have to develop separate ideas and business plans to deal with each of these sub sectors.
– Healthcare IT is neither healthcare nor IT. Healthcare IT companies need to understand their domain completely. The regulations are stricter and the guidelines different. Companies will have to be careful about the regulatory bodies, rules and laws that can vary from state to state.
– Since the federal government has already given guidelines about the software and technology that needs to be implemented, the product will remain more or less the same across companies. However it is the additional features and innovations that will transform your product from ‘nice to have’ to being a must have. And it is this change that will make all the difference
– Though the use of certain healthcare technology is mandated, the customer should be convinced that his business will benefit more financially by using the product from your stables than without it. It is important to make the customer understand that investment in healthcare technology could be costly but the returns would be even more profitable.
– In the healthcare industry it is foolish to assume that consumer will wake up one day and start taking better care of him. The growth of your healthcare IT company depends on the brilliance of the product and the creativity in marketing in it.
– Word to mouth publicity is a critical aspect in marketing healthcare IT.
– Involve those who will ultimately use your product- healthcare providers and doctors. Talk them about the problems they face with the current technology and then develop a product that is easy and simple to use and does not alienate them.
– Working in the healthcare industry is not only financially fruitful but socially rewarding as well. Enjoy the experience of working for something that benefits not only you but the entire community as well.
Healthcare IT is an emerging but an important sector. It is just the beginning. Healthcare technology and regulations are evolving and changing by the day. Healthcare IT companies need to be on their toes to respond to the newer demands of the health domain